Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mk2 Low rise quad light kit

As above, we are developing a quad light style kit similiar to that which you all know of.

So far it consits of the quad lights, high and low beam sealed projector units with angel eye running lights for the MK2 MR2. I'll have more info on the lights and options later in the week.

These will take a while but are already underway. The lights have been made, the housing I'm mocking up today, we just need to fit them to the shrouds, check all is well and then then we can offer them for sale as a kit.

This will be entirely plug and play with its own wiring loom and all fixings needed to install the kit.

Photos and more info once the first prototype unit is finished.

Interested? If you are, stick your name down.

:)

I think we need to see the finished article, I'm very familiar with the one thats been available for sometime, as I have a set. Quality, fit and price will be the deciding factor. Good luck with the lights, and lets see some pics

Quote Originally Posted by Garbe View Post
    I think we need to see the finished article, I'm very familiar with the one thats been available for sometime, as I have a set. Quality, fit and price will be the deciding factor. Good luck with the lights, and lets see some pics
    Same here, it is a quality product.

I am using Osram Night breakers in the full beam and Philips Blue Vision in the main beam [had mixed reports on the Osram so I bought the Philips to compare] They are fine but I think HIDs may fare better, albeit that they would not pass an MOT.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Thank you Garbe.

As soon as the first unit is finished I'll get some up, its nothing but a bunch of parts at the moment. We've had to modify the projector lenses to accept the duel filament bulbs, and then again to fit the shrouds. This has caused a small delay but I should have something to show you all within a week.
    Last edited by Orion paint & bodyworks; 03-03-2011 at 17:45.

TB Big Member VIP/Donor snowtigger's Avatar
    Any thoughts as to a mk1 kit ?

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Any thoughts as to a mk1 kit ?
    I am sure we could figure something out and or make these fit, I'd need a Mk1 to try it out on, or at least the light housing. If they do fit it, could just be a matter of making MK1 shrouds to hold the lights unit.

I will see what I can do once I have the finished unit in my hands.

Can I ask what you would all prefer in the way of lighting on these? I don't know too much on this so, some input from all of you would be most helpful.

Once again apologies for the delay to those waiting to see, with my accident, operation, hospital appointments and now my partner in hospital I'm behind on everyhting. Doing my very best.

We're now also looking into an integrated Infra red night vision system with monitor.

Thanks for that. I've been hearing that the Osram Night breakers in the stock housings do seem brighter than the projector lenses with HID's. H1 twin filament HID's will fit the projectors which is what we were comparing too.

It would be possible to use the same lights as with the kit already out there but, I'm not sure what the differnce would be if anything and don't like the idea of copying it. Would also up the price a fair bit from them alone.

You're right about the HID's and the MOT. Although a washer kit wouldn't be much of a problem the self levelling would be, I'm guessing we'd also have to get them approved by VOSA or some other body.
    Last edited by Orion paint & bodyworks; 30-03-2011 at 23:45.

Being completely honest here, but HID and washers etc are a waste of time. The ones that are available cost mucho £££.
    I think the important factor for quad pop ups is they must look awesome, nice low rise, If you can get that right, with the projector type lenses, but say circa £200 (maybe a bit optimistic), they will sell like hot cakes, bloody hell I'd probably buy a set as spares.

Ultimately you need to remember that MR2's can now be had for sub £1000, so asking someone to pay £375 or there abouts isn't going to get many sales. There aren't many £10k MK2's out there now.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Garbe View Post
    Being completely honest here, but HID and washers etc are a waste of time. The ones that are available cost mucho £££.
    I think the important factor for quad pop ups is they must look awesome, nice low rise, If you can get that right, with the projector type lenses, but say circa £200 (maybe a bit optimistic), they will sell like hot cakes, bloody hell I'd probably buy a set as spares.

Ultimately you need to remember that MR2's can now be had for sub £1000, so asking someone to pay £375 or there abouts isn't going to get many sales. There aren't many £10k MK2's out there now.

HTH
    These are being made entirely by myself to keep costs down. Using the lights and projectors similiar to the kit already available would make them way too expensive. The guys helping out with the lighting are down south, many hundreds of miles away from me so things do take some time as we send things back and forth. I promise I'll have something to show soon, i really don't like to show things half arsed and half finished, dosen't look good.

Whilst the look of them is no doubt why a lot of people buy them, it would be nice to have better lighting than that of the stock headlights.

Technicaly speaking, they may also be the first Pent light low rise pop ups. Pent meaning 6, I think thats right? I'll leave it at that untill I have something to show.
    Last edited by Orion paint & bodyworks; 30-03-2011 at 23:59.