It's only been 10 years!

Hello again - kind of!
    I've been around for a while but mostly on other MR2 forii - the Mk1 club and IMOC really. I've been away for the last several years though for various reasons but I still have my red Mk1 (Aiko).

Sadly, what with me living in London and now central Portsmouth, I've not had a garage for her for quite a while and she's now starting to show it. The poor girl is still mostly stock (apart from suspension) - even after 10 years of ownership! She is also my only car and currently SORN due to needing many things before going for MOT. (and a flat purchase has really caused me monetary issues for now!)

My plan was to contact Paul to speak to him about doing much of the mechanical work (Hi Paul! ). Things like fitting a 6 speed gearbox, (5th and 1st are basically gone) sorting out cam belt and other odd-jobs. I was planning on fitting ITBs and hotter for a while, but recently decided I'm probably gonna sell them to fund the repairs and to keep her mostly stock. Driving her around London was hard enough work sometimes even in stock form.

Then I found out about a potential 4AGZE I can get. Which made me ask whether I should call time on the 4A-GE. I mean, I love the engine's character but rental diesel econoboxes with stop-start tech now feel faster off the line! And I've wanted a V6 for the better part of the last 10 years. Maybe I should get a ride in one. Or maybe that's dangerous for my wallet.

Ultimately I'll probably end up keeping her mostly as-is (which isn't in true TB spirit, I know) due to monies. But I'm back and lurking around on here again trying to figure out what to do, so though I should say hello - again! :) (almost my 10 year anniversary since signing up here!)

Hi Matey and welcome back.

I can relate to exactly what you say about London driving, I just sold mine after 8 years of ownership and I haven't really missed it as it was such a drudge to stop at traffic lights every 60 metres and then queue for ages to get through junctions.

I had a V6 in my rev 5 and would highly recommend it as it is far less maintenance than the turbo unit but there again I've never owned a tubby so I can't be that subjective. Also, V6s particularly the 3VZs are becoming quite cheap to get hold of and there is a wealth of knowledge and resources to get one installed. Have a think and do your homework, I'm sure you'll come up with the best solution and us guys are always here to help out.

John.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Welcome back, I don't know how anyone "drives" around London it's mostly a crawl! Have you now got a garage or are you thinking about getting someone to do the swap / work for you?

TB Big Member VIP/Donor
    Welcome back.

You should have a chat with Patrick Chambers (Headcase on here). He can probably help you out with most things, plus he's in Hastings which is a bloody sight nearer than Durham.

Plus he's not a moody fucker. (Well not much).

:)

Chris.

Hi Chaps!
    Thanks for the posts and for pointing me Patrick's way - I'll have to look him up! Much much closer! :)
    Driving around London was pretty rubbish. In fact, last year I was there I occasionally cycled to work from East London to West London. It took the same time cycling as driving and taking the tube! (And I'm not even referring to driving in rush hour)
    Thanks for the pointers about the turbo vs V6 John. I'm deffo decided I'm not going turbo though; it's either NA or supercharged. I've had a good read on here last night and am swaying towards keeping her relatively stock or doing the 4AGZE as a limit as she's quite solid. Boring, I know, but still more than I've got now and I do love the whine of a supercharger.

Goldy - sadly no garage, nowhere to work at all. I have all the tools but nowhere I can do jobs on the car (it's strictly laid out in my tenancy that car work is not allowed). But I've been waiting for a garage I can call my own for the best part of ten years; the car's got to the point now where I should just sort it really.

Thanks guys.

Oh - last night I saw Paul's Sonic Shadow V6 for sale on IMOC. Refreshed the page later and it was sold. I was considering spending Aiko's money on that so just as well! :)
    (That was pretty much my definition of the perfect MR2 - and have told my Sister if she ever decides to sell her sonic shadow, I'd like to do that to it!)

Oh - last night I saw Paul's Sonic Shadow V6 for sale on IMOC. Refreshed the page later and it was sold. I was considering spending Aiko's money on that so just as well! :)
    (That was pretty much my definition of the perfect MR2 - and have told my Sister if she ever decides to sell her sonic shadow, I'd like to do that to it!)

Edit: Oops, double post!

Yes, I didn't think Pauls SS would be around for too long. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Anyhow, at least you now have some direction buddy.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno