Thread: Hi

TB Small Member

Hi

Hi all,
    I am from Palmerston North, New Zealand and am in the process of building a supercharged 2GR with hopefully an EA60 in a Targa Top SW20. You guys have awesome ideas and are an inspiration. Hope to pick up and share a lot of the ideas from the builds and my project.
    Best regards, Mo

Woodsport VIP/Donor
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi Mo, welcome to TB, Christ no messing around there, straight in to the supercharged 2gr 6 speed!

A recommendation though, use the EB60/62 instead of the EA61.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

TB Small Member
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks and yeah a bit of a left field for here in NZ.
    The engine is out of the TRD Aurion, just about completed the arrangement on the purchase. Was going to get stuff from Marc (he's been an awesome help with his sharing of the knowledge and also supply of the engine mount, headers and other bits & pieces - very great guy to deal with and nothing is a problem, very straight shooter) but by the time you add shipping and duty at the border here, the cost just blows out significantly.
    On the EA front, I managed to locate an EB62 in the US and they wanted US$1900 then local shipping then sea freight and finally the duty at the border in NZ then local shipping, it was going to end us costing me well over NZ$7,000.
    Managed to pick the EA box out of a Toyota Auris Diesel and had done just on 68,000kms for a very good price (not as cheap as what is available in the UK:)) and the guy threw in all the cables and selector etc. in the deal.
    I have been reading up the thread on the EA build that you guys did and was wondering if you had anything that I could purchase (will have to be bit by bit as I will need to budget for this) for my build.
    The car will be mainly used as a daily cruiser and maybe the odd track day with the mr2 club.
    Any help from anyone would be appreciated.
    Thanks again fort he welcome and hope to share my build as well.
    Best regards, Mo

Woodsport VIP/Donor
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi Mo, I'm sorry but I abandoned the EA61 parts production due to there being an input shaft gear chatter on those gearboxes when mated to a 2gr engine, there is a resonance issue that would normally be dampened out by the flywheel/clutch on a diesel Auris, so I could not continue with that as a customer kit. There is also a lot of custom parts with that gearbox, I'm sorry I cannot help with that but I can advise and share as much info as you need.

In terms of a viable 6 speed option the EB60/62 really is the way to go.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

TB Small Member
    Hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply.
    Hmm, stuck between a rock and a hard place now. NZ did not do any EB series gearbox which means I will have to chase this up from somewhere overseas, wonder when the next Lotto win is going to be:)
    Can you please forward to any links, CAD information on the parts that I will need for this EA box and I will see what I can manufacture here in NZ?
    I have a bit of time on my hands before I get to the stage of mounting everything up as the car needs to painted after the fitting of the bodykit etc. and I will re-visit the hunt for the EB series box again. The wife will kill me now for sure:)
    Thanks again and chat soon, best regards
    Mo