Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Hi all

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    In reality it looks like you have had sub-standard work carried out and incorrect parts fitted, so i'd say yes you should be entitled to a refund on the rebuild, however it's a little more complicated than that and you will have to get them to admit that they did not correctly size the bearings to the crank and crank to block. I suspect they will just say it was all correctly plastigauged and your issue is an oil feed one, however for it to be oil pressure related i would expect to see all bearings with damage, not just one, so that either means the journal hole was blocked on just one rod (again their duty to inspect/clean etc) or it was the wrong size bearing.

You're in a tricky spot, but based on what i've told you, you should be able to go in armed with enough info to prove it hasn't been rebuilt by the book...... certainly handing a block back with big ends not torqued down is a joke to be honest.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

So having a look, all the bearing caps are number 2 so that might be a good thing and they have got the correct bearings?

But it doesn't prove that they've used the wrong ones

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Crank feels good with finger nail but does look like it's marked so will probably need polishing out

Not exactly, it's the wrong crank, so the number 2 on each cap means it matched your old crank to the rods with all size 2 bearings.... god knows what size your current crank used..... see the issue there?

I know they are wrong because they are all the same, and couldn't have been plastigauged because it wasn't torqued down.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

And yes that crank journal is badly scored, may or may not be saveable.

The irony is, if you get the crank reground (doubt polishing will do looking at it) then it would need bearings plastigauging and sizing correctly anyway..... so why they didn't do that to begin with staggers me.

Ha yeah, the funny thing was I knew the torque specs if they asked for them rather than turning up and them saying by the way we've not torqued them down

Looking back I shouldn't have accepted that but I didn't think

From what Paul has said, they dont have a clue what they are doing with this engine.

Now the problem with the law is it states you have to give them a chance to rectify their mistake. From what has been said, it sounds like even if they do sort this out ,its not gonna last long again and you will be back to square one.

Id say your stuck between a rock and a hard place. Trust them to sort this issue (and it sounds like they cant do it properly) or fork out AGAIN for someone in the know to rebuild the engine once again.

Id personally be looking at transplanting another engine into there. I know Chris (Bodgewerks) sells the v6 conversion packs so maybe he has a spare engine lying around? Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and count your losses rather than flogging a dead horse?

However, if you can get them to rectify their mistake, its not gonna cost you anything other than your time and energy to remove and reinstall the engine and then maybe the time and energy again to remove it again if it blows again?
    BUT
    If you got to pay for new gaskets etc then is it worth putting a potentially dodgy engine (even when rebuilt) back in the car only for it to blow and then having to put another engine in again?