Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Hi all

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi Sam, can I ask you to delete one of your accounts please, either the reedy or samreedy one please.

Good job I heard that big end rattle in your video, that engine would have blown up in a matter of miles, possibly resulting in an engine bay fire.

Lucky save!

Inspect the pcv valve , oil could be getting in that way.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Not sure why I have two, think it's something to do with Tapatalk I'll sort it out

Found some light scoring on the cylinder walls honed it out a little and they've gone

Need to check the tolerance for the piston gap if not will have to get it rebored

What sort of price should I be paying for a rebore and the crank polished?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Right so dropped the block off at the machine shop and they've just got back to me

The rings I put in were the wrong ones for a start, they sent me 1mzfe... Thanks rock auto, that's now everything they sent me was wrong!

He thinks the crank was already damaged before I replaced the bearings- I don't remember seeing it badly damaged but he's the expert! Oh and the con rod is bent and the crank is bent

Fantastic!

He's sourced a new 3vzfe crank and con rod for me but this is starting to get very expensive

And the

If you want a fully rebuilt 3vz then go for it. At least you will know the history and it should be ultra reliable and last 200k+ miles. However if time and money is your thing then probably be easier and cheaper to buy a cammy or lexus and swap another engine in

Quote Originally Posted by notroubleclubber View Post
    If you want a fully rebuilt 3vz then go for it. At least you will know the history and it should be ultra reliable and last 200k+ miles. However if time and money is your thing then probably be easier and cheaper to buy a cammy or lexus and swap another engine in
    Very much this. A lot of the BodgeWerks swaps have been "chuck it in and drive it".

Without the skills and knowledge, a lot of people have fucked up a perfectly good engine swap. The shortest distance between two points is normally the quickest and easiest!

:)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah pretty frustrating, I could get another engine for around a grand

All this engine work and for them to rebuild it is gonna cost around the same so I'll effectively have a new engine, I'll know the history etc etc

Just so frustrating that they sent me the wrong rings and it screws the bores up

I'm gonna get a refund from the engine, the machine shop are happy to write a report to say they believe the crank was buggered before I got it so at least that's something

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Something isn't adding up, 1mz and 3vz rings are the same size..... so it should still have been fine if correctly gapped and installed the right way, there's no reason why 1mz rings won't work on a 3vz.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I did think that too but the machine shop say they are different

Oversized pistons turned up the other day so gonna drop them off at the shop today and hopefully be able to go and pick it all up on thursday or early next week

then I can get it all back in- expensive but i'll know its all been done properly etc and its all good for another 200k

hopefully all goes smoothly and its just heads back on manifolds, flywheel, clutch and gearbox and then get her in

what would be the best oil for these engines generally? and what should I use to help break the engine in after its rebuild?