Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rev 5 1mz vvti contemplating change

Hi everyone -

So, a bit of history on me. Had a sonic shadow rev 4 back in 2008 for four years. Only changed because of a company car, but soon the novelty of a BMW wore off rather quickly. Ditched the company car, bought the best rev 5 in black that I could find three years ago and after a year of ownership, took it up to Paul woods for the 1mz vvti conversion. So it's been a daily driver for 2 years and hasn't missed a beat, (other than the fuel pump. With 183,000 miles on the clock you can forgive it. I've fitted a walbro now).

I like it because it looks completely stock with with the exception of a minor drop in ride height from the koni adjustables.

I'm getting to the point where i'd like a bit more go, so it's deciding what to do. I've always had mid-engined cars since I could drive so wouldn't want to change that. A cayman drives well but just doesn't do it for me. An evora fits the bill but right now the cheapest at 90,000 miles is £23,000 which is pushing the budget.

Basically, i'm trying to convince myself that upgrading to a 2GR in the MR2 would be worth it in light of having a 1mz vvti that is faultless. Would anyone that has done the swap be willing to take me out for a spin to compare?

Many thanks

From what I've heard, it's worth it when you hit the pedal. A few guys around here have them, maybe someone will chime in. :)

Hi,

So I've built and driven 3VZ, 1MZ, 1MZ vvti, and 2GR (as a home builder i might add). "My MR2" is a Rev2 2GR with turbo LSD box, currently getting a Dino body kit.

Project 'GroundHog Day' - Black 2GR-FE Mk2
    http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...ack-2GR-FE-Mk2

I spent a lot of money getting the 2GR here on a group buy, then all the extras, then all the stuff you really need like a decent clutch, intake pipe, plumbing options etc etc. I've said several times that i'm glad i did it, but if i knew what i know now, i would have sunk my money in a 1MZ vvti, and spent the rest on Doombar (or maybe Seven Souls).

Don't get me wrong, the 2GR is awesome, and opens some new options (6 speed box and supercharger conversions from Paul Woods to name a couple) but i'm not sure splashing out the extra spend to go from 1MZ vvti to 2GR will be a huge enough leap forward, literally extra bang for your buck. Considering the first couple of 3VZ swaps we did on a £500 budget, spending money always makes me wince a bit...

Pat & Chris MR2 V6 Engine Swaperoo Project Thing!
    http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...oject-Thing%21

I think i would be looking at maybe enhancing the 1MZ a bit more, Paul can probably advise on options there.

But have a go in one, see what you think. There's a few people around with 2GR's, i'm pretty sure any one of them will be happy to take you for a blast.

:)

Chris.

I haven't been in a 1mZ mr2 but I suspect if it's well finished it's 8/10s of the same thing and you'll only notice the extra hp at the extremes. Its quite a chunk of extra money on top. I'm not sure of any owners out your way - are there any in the west midlands crews ?

Thanks for the response chaps. I guess I just need to get in one before committing. Off the line, the 1mz vvti is insanely quick, it just loses puff beyond 5,000 rpm. The 2gr is a big cost, I just need to see how it performs. At the back of my mind I'm considering the cost (£8k or so for the engine and 2k for a re-spray at work) vs investing in something like an Esprit or Evora. Anyone with a 2gr not a million miles away, please let me know if you want a photo opportunity with my 1mz rev 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Thanks for the response chaps. I guess I just need to get in one before committing. Off the line, the 1mz vvti is insanely quick, it just loses puff beyond 5,000 rpm. The 2gr is a big cost, I just need to see how it performs. At the back of my mind I'm considering the cost (£8k or so for the engine and 2k for a re-spray at work) vs investing in something like an Esprit or Evora. Anyone with a 2gr not a million miles away, please let me know if you want a photo opportunity with my 1mz rev 5!
    I have the 1MZ-FE (non VVTi) , don't know if the nsx engine/ box would fit but they come on song at 5700 rpm( with a mystical 270 bhp !!!!!!.. ) that's the only thing I miss , well that and the noise of vtec

Have you thought about adding some forced induction to your current motor? I've read that the vvti can be fussy with boost but it surely must be cheaper than swapping to 2gr with similar performance gains

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Off the line, the 1mz vvti is insanely quick, it just loses puff beyond 5,000 rpm. The 2gr is a big cost, I just need to see how it performs.

At the back of my mind I'm considering the cost (£8k or so for the engine and 2k for a re-spray at work) vs investing in something like an Esprit or Evora. Anyone with a 2gr not a million miles away, please let me know if you want a photo opportunity with my 1mz rev 5!
    When the 1mz loses puff at 5000 rpm you could try changing up a gear. It'll probably lose puff at 5000 rpm again but the solution is the same.

For me the 2gr has a 'bit too much' power for the chassis. Sure, if you are using it on a track, can really drive and don't have much fear you may get your moneys worth - but for the road I think there's so much power from a 2gr than makes it usable.

Sure sure, some people dig the power number game and love dyno printouts, thats their game and not mine.

You'd always get a better resale of money in to money out on a Loutus than one of our beauties!

Quote Originally Posted by Eat a bag of... View Post
    For me the 2gr has a 'bit too much' power for the chassis. Sure, if you are using it on a track, can really drive and don't have much fear you may get your moneys worth - but for the road I think there's so much power from a 2gr than makes it usable.
    Like driving a well sorted turbo, if you have boots of lead then yes, the power can be a handful, but I absolutely reject that there's too much power for the chassis. In my view it's the right engine for the chassis and I wish they made 2GRs back in 1992 and fitted them from the factory.

The fact that there is so much power (actually, torque) is what makes it so usable :)

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    This x1000 ^^^^^

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here