Rev 1 (apparently) MR2 turbo

Hi all.

I bought a Mk2 Turbo a month or so back, and on the way home it started getting warm. Luckily, I had coolant with me, so I got back by waiting for it to cool down, topping up, driving on and repeating!
    I started this thread -

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...nt-leak-3S-GTE

... and I have now completed the Hose from Hell change. Ran it about 30 miles since completing it and no coolant issues so far. So going to take it to work and back at least once next week, and that'll be another 60 miles.
    Anyway, thought I'd best stick a thread up here, showing my current fleet, as I have registered using the forum 'ever so slight' discount code for Silverstone Japfest.

So this is it -

Plans are to remove that awful 'turbo' badge some clown has plonked on the back, and otherwise do what I do with all my cars - well cleaned, well serviced, well maintained and quality tyres.

The other vehicles -

CR-V is the dog motor (probably the best car I've ever owned), and I use it to go to my part-time farm job.

The EP3 is my every day car for my full time job. Just taken a deposit on it, so the MR2 (touch wood) will be replacing it in daily duties for now.

And my Fireblade -

This is my first MR2, bought for £400, back in 2007/8 -

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/stu...?sort=3&page=1

Loved that thing. Had to break it for spares and scrap the shell before leaving for Germany as I couldn't give it away.
    Had a 3S-GTE in an ST185 Celica, and numerous MR2's (the best one being a 3VZ-FE Mk2), but this is my first Mk2 Turbo.

Maybe see some of you at Japfest.

Thanks, Stuart.

*Edit* -

Just flicking through my Photobucket and realised THIS, is the best car I've ever owned -

Swapped it for the biggest pile of shite Audi with some bellend from Birmingham (Neil, Made in Metal, some custom motorcycle shop or the like) and he wrote it off.

Rev 1 on a l plate? Unless the dvla messed up the reg and this isnt a conversion then l regs are normally a late rev2 or an early rev 3. The rear lights are rev 3 but the spoiler is rev1/2 so would need a pic of engine to know what rev it is. It also has a turbo lid.
    The vin number will tell you if its a genuine turbo or not

I'll pop the chassis number up at some point :)
    Yes, sold as Rev 1, and the oil cooler sandwich plate I ordered was identified as a Rev 1 item. So I think it is Rev 1 engined.
    I think it is a Rev 1, and the number plate has been messed up at some point, and someone has stuck the (better) Rev 3 rear lights on it.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    If it has a speedo cable it is 100% rev1, if it has an electronic speedo drive ie no speedo cable then it is 100% a rev2-

That is the only item that someone would have enormous difficulty converting over between revisions.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    If it has a speedo cable it is 100% rev1, if it has an electronic speedo drive ie no speedo cable then it is 100% a rev2-

That is the only item that someone would have enormous difficulty converting over between revisions.

Appreciate your knowledge, i'll go and check the gearbox now...

... thought it'd go in at the top of the queer box, but I can only see the slave cylinder, gear change cables, starter motor etc.
    So the mystery will have to continue!

In fact - chassis number ends 0011883 (according to V5).
    And the V5 has 'declared manufactured 1993' but that'll just be the info they were provided with when it was imported.

Now taxed and insured the MR2 and the EP3 is being collected tonight so it's going to be pressed into (reasonably) daily duty.
    Fingers crossed..!
    Should go some way towards proving its' reliability.
    The car was provided with the turbo elbow, cat, heat shield - is anyone in need of these parts?
    Also, are any of you going to Japfest, Silverstone?

Thanks, Stuart.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Speedo drive is at the rear of the gearbox, pretty easy to locate and if there is a cable it should be obvious

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Got it over the pit at work last night and it is definitely cable drive :)
    So that's that settled.

Thanks gents.

0011883 = Rev 1 import, built April 1990.
    Last edited by jimi; 14-03-2018 at 20:53.
    Jimi
    Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    0011883 = Rev 1 import, built April 1990.

Thanks for that, interesting to know.

Well that's 120 miles it has done this past two days for work, so it's proving itself, slowly but surely.
    I'll be really, really happy if it turns out to be a reliable daily driver.

The previous owner removed the rain tray for some unknown reason, so I refitted that at work last night, also fitted two new number plate light (capless, 501) bulbs as the LED ones fitted weren't working.
    And continued to tidy up the years of wiring 'repairs' in the engine bay to resemble something more professional.

Will stick a new photo up soon as it is now on OZ 5 spokes.
    When it was on the pit on Tuesday night i noticed a cut in the inner sidewall of the tyre, so swapped all the wheels for these OZ's i had in the garage.

Thanks, Stuart.