Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie saying hello with a 1MZ V6 and a few other MR2s and Japanese cars.

Evening All,

I have been looking on here on a far more regular basis recently.

My name is James. I have been into Japanese cars since around the turn of the millennium. I had my first MR2 (a G-Limited) around then and had around 3 or 4 all around then including a blue turbo. I moved away from MR2s then until start of January 2017.

In 2017 I then bought 3 MR2 Turbos and have kept 2 of them.

A yellow rev4 JDM turbo and a late white rev3 JDM turbo.

I recently bought a 1MZ V6 MR2. Story behind the car is it was built by Woodsport start of 2014. A year or so later Dom (the owner of the car) decided to re-shell to a rust free Rev3 Turbo SMG shell as the UK Rev4 the engine was put in was suffering from terminal rust.

I saw (heard) my first V6 around 10 years ago at a Japanese tuner near where I live. It was again built by Woodsport and I remember then thinking what a great idea. In 2017 I started seriously looking to buy one and saw Dom's car last year. Eventually I bought it and the only change so far has been some Blitz 01 CX staggered wheels.

My main passion is MK1 MX5s and I own 4 of them.

A wide silver MX5 with a turbo conversion to the 1.6 from Flyin Miata in the USA making around 250bhp I built in 2008.

A unusual black MX5 which now runs on ITB's from a Honda Fireblade. For me this almost goes back to the turbo v V6 argument as the cost here doesn't deliver lots of BHP but the throttle response is very quick while the induction sound is great. I built this car around 2013 from a base MX5. I had another MX5 running weber twin carbs and the sound is similar to this.

I also own 2 other MX5s but these are more standard in the engine department.

Thanks for looking and hope you don't mind me joining and asking some questions moving forwards
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 27-03-2018 at 06:52.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Nice selection of cars There, I have a soft spot for the mx5.

Welcome to TB.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Nice selection of cars There, I have a soft spot for the mx5.

Welcome to TB.
    Thanks Paul. When you guys built the engine in mine it was originally in a white UK rev4 before Dom transferred it to the SMG rev3.

For some reason my first post seems to have disappeared. Edited it for a spelling mistake and it has gone.

The MX5 is a good car. Very good community and international support network. The engine takes well to tuning as is essentially the same 1.6 engine as found in 323 Turbo back in the day.

Your first post should be back up now.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thanks Paul. It's not showing this side so wonder if I could have hidden the post? I think I deleted it rather then saved it

Strange? It's showing here and even when i log out and view as a guest it is there.....

That, by the way is stunning, i have just bought the very same wheels for my kit car project, JR19's?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    That, by the way is stunning, i have just bought the very same wheels for my kit car project, JR19's?
    Thanks Paul. I must have been an idiot and deleted. Appreciate your help sorting as know you are a busy chap.

The wheels were custom order new from Japan back in the day. They are RS Watanabe. Staggered offset and negative 13 offset. The arches are what Mazdaspeed used in a circuit race series back in the day.

The car was built from scratch as was imported in 2004 as a base silver Eunos Roadster. It is pretty quick with 250bhp as doesn't weight a lot being a MK1 MX5. Against larger Japanese cars it does pretty well on acceleration.

This is the turbo set-up. Flyin Miata turbo kit with 550 injectors, Link ECU, etc.

Loving the silver and black mx5s. I used to have one a couple of years ago before buying 2 MR2s.

Maybe one day, I’ll have a v6 mx5 Rocketeer.

Just turboing one of my MR2s as we speak !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chasmundo View Post
    Loving the silver and black mx5s. I used to have one a couple of years ago before buying 2 MR2s.

Maybe one day, I’ll have a v6 mx5 Rocketeer.

Just turboing one of my MR2s as we speak !
    Yeah there is a conversion to put the Mazda V6 in a MX5. Not many done but imagine they must be fun.