Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Got the new (to me) engine in and it runs pretty rough at low RPMs- no power at all. The engine was running well when it got pulled out of the previous car, and I didn’t change the distributor or alter the timing. I am using the ECU that came with the engine as well as most of the accessories.
    What do you recommend I look at first?
    The engine was out of a car for about three months, and the thermostat doesn’t seem to be working. I'm hoping it loosens up after a night in coolant.
    I am getting some smoke from the header, but it might just be the spilled fluids burning off.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ok that's not running on all four cylinders, first thing i'd check is you have the firing order correct on the HT leads, it should be 1,3,4,2 with number one being closest to the pulley end of the engine.

If the firing order checks out you need to compression test it to make sure the engine is sound.

I would have used your original engine harness and ECU with the new engine, as they are known to be good.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thanks- there was a little water in the plug valley in cylinder 3 and 4- once I dried it out it ran great!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Good stuff.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here